Monday, December 28, 2009

Meeting my birthfamily

The family (Heather, birthmom Diana (has Alzheimer's), JR, Me, Becki

2 months after I sent the letter to my birth mom we flew out to Florida to spend some time with them. My birth mom had just gotten out of the hospital so my siblings weren't able to tell her about my coming to meet her or even that we found each other. I know there may never be a time that she will understand what is going on and who I am. Or she could remember everything but not be able to tell me anything.
We went to my sister Heather's house on Saturday night and the kids played and we all got to know each other. My birth mom did stare at me for a long time then lean over and give me a hug. My sisters said that it was very uncommon for her to do that so they think she did see a resemblance or something.
Sunday we took Ed to play golf and the kids and I went to bowl with the new cousins. After bowling we all met up to go to dinner.
Monday we took Ed to play golf (yes again!) and the kids and I went to the Clearwater Aquarium. Then we met up with the family for dinner at a mexican food place. We had a lot of fun there having my brother JR get a huge sombrero put on his head and the restaurant singing happy birthday even though it's not his birthday.
Tuesday we went to Becki's house and the kids and I stayed there and hung out with her and Diana(birth mom). The husbands went to play golf. We tried to ask her about how many kids she had but she got frustrated and kept saying "I don't know." She also wouldn't sit still she was very anxious and wanted to walk around the house a lot. That night we went to a karaoke and restaurant where Austin (Becki's son) sang "Funky Town." He was a little quiet but not the least bit shy.
Wednesday we went to Heather's house and hung out all day. Her house backs up to the huge neighborhood park so we went over there and let the kids play and run off some steam. That night we did our big Christmas gifts, pictures and had to say our goodbyes.
It was a great trip and I'm glad that we were able to go out and meet them. They are a great addition to my family.
I will post all the pictures to my shutterfly as soon as I can(may not be today but soon). I'll send the link out again once I do that.

0 comments: