Monday, May 12, 2008

Oobleck



I didn't make this word up but I think Mackenzie and her friends did.  I am not even sure this is how it's spelled.  Anyway, the story behind ewbleck..............they made some at school and so Mackenzie was super excited and wanted to make some at home.  It's a very simple recipe and so I figured why not.  I didn't realize how messy a little cornstarch and water can be.  Mackenzie got everyone a bag and mixed some colored water and cornstarch together and had them squeeze it all together.  The messy part was the cornstarch that got spilled all over the floor...then add the water that got spilled on the cornstarch on the floor....then add Sean and Ryan putting their hands in their bags and showing me how slimy it was.  Other than Sean's bag spilling all over him (luckily he was outside at Kelly's house) the ewbleck was a big hit.  The mess was pretty easy to clean up with a little water and soap.  Note to self: Mix ewbleck OUTSIDE!


Update:  Nana found out that Oobleck is really a word Dr. Seuss had used but has since been used for this mix of cornstarch and water.  So Mackenzie really wasn't making up the word and neither were her teacher's.  I'm kind of surprised that Daddy know it all didn't already know this was a word and where it came from.  You can look it up on www.wikipedia.org
I should have also looked it up on google before posting but they have several recipes for it, a youtube of people running across it and more.  Just check it out for yourself!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's from that crazy Dr. Seuss!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oobleck